Saturday, May 15, 2010

Papillary Carcinoma in a Male Breast Cyst: A Diagnostic Challenge

Intracystic papillary breast carcinoma is a rare form of non-invasive carcinoma with an excellent prognosis. It accounts for less than 0.5% of breast cancers. We report the case of a 75-year-old man presenting with a painless cystic lump in the right breast. Ultrasonography showed a cystic lesion and aspiration revealed blood-stained fluid with suspicion of malignancy. Excisional biopsy was necessary to confirm the diagnosis and also indicated that local treatment was adequate.
Keywords: Intracystic, Papillary carcinoma, Male breast cancer
Male breast cancer is a rare disease and the incidence is 1% of all breast cancer. Intracystic papillary breast carcinoma is an extremely rare condition in men and represents only 5–7.5% of all male breast carcinomas. Diagnosis is often delayed because of the benign appearance on physical examination and radiological imaging. Such carcinomas have a better prognosis than other types of breast malignancy. Fine needle aspiration is often inaccurate and excision biopsy may be necessary for the diagnosis. We report a case of 75-year-old man presenting with a cystic lesion of the right breast which recurred after aspiration. An excisional biopsy confirmed the diagnosis and also indicated that local treatment was adequate.
A 75-year-old male presented with a painless mass in the right breast of 1-month duration. On examination, he had a well-defined 2 cm × 2 cm, firm, non-tender, non-adhering lump lateral to the right nipple. The left breast and both axillae were normal. Ultrasound showed a cyst. Aspiration of the lump revealed blood-stained fluid. Microscopic examination revealed foamy macrophages in addition to numerous epithelial cells arranged as three-dimensional papillary clumps with nuclear crowding. There was also variation of nuclear size and prominent nucleoli. The appearance was suspicious of malignancy, with the possibility of a papillary lesion being raised.
The cyst recurred 2 weeks later and the patient subsequently underwent a lumpectomy. Macroscopic examination of the specimen showed a cyst of 30 mm diameter with an intracystic fleshy papillary lesion in its wall. Multiple sections were taken for microscopic examination. The cyst wall was lined by a single layer of epithelial cells without atypia. The papillary lesion was a non-invasive papillary carcinoma. The carcinoma cells were round to polyhedral with mild atypia and rare mitoses. There was no evidence of stromal invasion. The tumour was diagnosed as intracystic papillary carcinoma, low grade. Excision margins were free of tumour. No other treatment was performed. He was doing well at 1-year follow-up.

1 comment:

  1. Am very happy today to share this amazing testimony on how Dr. Imoloa the herbal doctor was able to cure me from my Herpes Virus with his herbal medicine. I have been a herpes patient for almost 8 months now and have tried different methods of treatment to ensure that I am cured of this terrible disease, but none worked for me, so I had to leave everything to God to handle as I was a Christian who had faith that one day God would intervene in my life, yet I felt so sad and desperate as I was losing almost everything due to my illness, A few months ago while I was surfing the internet I saw different recommendation about Dr Imoloa on how he have been using his herbal Medicine to treat and cure people, these people advice we contact Dr. Imoloa for any problem that would help immediately, I contacted Dr Imoloa and I told him how I got his contact and also about my disease, after some time Dr. Imoloa told me to have faith that he would prepare for me a medication of herbal herbs, he told me I would take this medicine for two weeks and also asked my home  address so as possible for him to submit the drug for me, so my good friends after all the process and everything Dr Imoloa actually sent me the medicine, I took it as I was directed by Dr. Imoloa after two weeks passed, while on Dr.Imoloa medication I began to experience changes in my body, I had to call my doctor at the hospital for some blood test after test my hospital doctor told me that I was no longer with the herpes virus and my blood is pretty good, I can not even believe this, Friends well today i am Herpes Free and i want everyone to know that there is a cure for herpes for those who will contact Dr Imoloa after reading my testimony, you can kindly contact Dr. Imoloa Via e-mail/ (drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com)  or Whatssapp him on +2347081986098. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete

Followers